SASSA Child Support Grants help lower-income families support their children’s basic needs. In order to bridge the gap in the household’s cost of living, it is not intended to replace other sources of income. There will only be one application accepted per person for either of these grants at a time, similar to the SASSA Foster Child Grant.
It is convenient to check SASSA Child Support Grant Status Online if you are the child’s primary caregiver (whether a parent, grandparent, or anyone primarily responsible for the child’s care). Here are some tips on how to do it correctly.
Check SASSA Child Support Grant Status Online
Here are the steps you need to follow to check the status of your child support grant:
- Visit https://sassachecks.co.za/ to check your SASSA Status
- A parent, guardian, or primary caregiver’s South African ID number must be entered.
- The SASSA Child Support Grant application requires the cell phone number.
- Our database will receive your request when you click the ‘Submit’ button.
- SASSA Child Support Grant applications will be processed through our web portal.
- You will be able to view the status of your children’s grant application.
Note: In 2023 and 2024, the top-up for the Child Support Grant will be increased to R250.
When is the SASSA child grant not available to you?
SASSA Child Support Grants may not be available if you fall into one of the following categories:
- The child is being taken care of by you for a fee.
- It is not your primary responsibility to take care of the child.
- For the child, another grant has already been awarded.
- As a representative of an institution that cares for children, you represent an important institution.
- An asset and income threshold is assessed to determine eligibility for the grant.
What is the SASSA child Grant amount?
Child support grants may change annually, but they are currently R500 per child per month. It is possible to specify how the money should be paid when you submit the application. The money can be withdrawn in cash at a designated pay point or deposited electronically into your bank account on specific days.
- In the event of a transaction involving your bank account, you will be charged the usual bank charges. If you wish to change your payment method at any time, you can do so by completing a form, although it takes effect one month after the change is made.
What is the start date for receiving grants for children?
Payments will be backdated to the date your application was approved within three months if your application is approved.
When do SASSA payments stop for child care?
The following circumstances may result in the termination of your grant:
- A child passes away.
- By the end of the month, the child will be 18 years old.
- Three consecutive months pass without the caregiver filing a claim.
- There is an absence of the child from the country.
- In the state institution, the child is admitted.
- The eligibility of your grant will be reviewed periodically to ensure that it continues to be eligible. Moreover, any changes in your or your child’s circumstances must be reported to the department.
Contact for Enquiries
Please contact the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) if you have any inquiries about:
- Dates of payout.
- All government grants must meet qualifying criteria.
- Contact information and addresses for district offices.
- Your application will be assisted.
- In case of fraud or corruption, report it immediately.
- The Toll-Free Helpline Number for the Main Office is 0800 601 011
- Email: [email protected]